Thursday, February 5, 2009

A first trip to the dentist....

I finally got around to taking the kids to their first dentist's appointments. I know, I know, I should have taken Benny long ago, but I always found an excuse. Besides, he doesn't eat anything, so I knew his teeth had to be in good shape! His diet is actually quite tooth friendly, lots and lots of cheese and milk, and hardly any sweets. I figured that while I was taking Benny, I should get Sophie in too. She is almost two, and has all of her teeth including those two year m0lars!

I made the kids appointments forever ago, hoping that Nick would be able to accompany me over Christmas break. No luck, this office is very popular, and they didn't have any appointments until this week. I took the kids to Little Apple Pediatric Dentistry in Manhattan. Benny was super excited about going, because they sent him a welcome package back in December telling him all about the great things at the office. Both the waiting room and exam room had a train on the ceiling that the kids could push a button to make it run. There were also flat screen tv's above the exam tables playing Disney movies. It was great!

Benny had to go back for his cleaning, exam and x-rays by himself, per office policy. I actually thought this was a great idea. I knew that if I was present, he would be much more hesitant. If he was by himself, he had no choice but to be brave. We don't have any problem brushing teeth at home, but still, Benny is not really accepting of new things......especially new flavors in his mouth. Most of you know that he is very, very picky. Apparently, all really went well. When they came to get me, Benny was already done, and calmly watching a movie. His had been a bit nervous about the dentist's toothpaste, and despised the fluoride treatment. But, they had no problems at all cleaning, examining and x-raying his teeth. I was so proud that he let them do everything that they needed to do!

Benny got a clean bill of health-no cavities or problem spots. I am so thankful for that! We had quite a bit of drama once we left because he wouldn't stop complaining about the banana fluoride treatment. In fact, he refused a Happy Meal before school because he was afraid it would taste like bananas. I even offered a trip to Panera's for a chocolate chip cookie, but that was a no go too. All he wanted was a bottle of water. So, we swung into Target and picked up a few things, including a new Star Wars action figure and a bottle of water. Funnily enough, he was so thrilled with his new figure that he never even drank the water. Go figure, the banana couldn't have been that bad! On another funny note, he told me that he was terrified that he would swallow the x-ray films. Oh, the drama!

Sophie didn't have much done. The dentist sat her up on the table and took a look at all of her teeth, and her bite. Unfortunately, she is a thumb sucker, and all of her sucking has pushed her front teeth/jaw out a bit. We may need braces down the road. She was thrilled to pick out a new toothbrush, and a sticker. For the rest of the day she kept saying 'teeth' and smiling a huge smile. Every time she enters her bathroom at home now she wants to brush her teeth with her new pink toothbrush. I'm trying to limit her to three times a day. Good habits start young, right?

Happy Brushing everyone!

No comments: